Waller County Buildings and Areas http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/ Waller County Buildings and Areas Waller County Museum The pine frame building at Fifth and Cooper streets in Brookshire was built about 1912 for Armenian American Dr. Paul Donigan. It was purchased by Waller County in 1977 and restored under the auspices of the Waller County Historical Commission and now serves as the Waller County Historical Museum. Brookshire and Pattison had significant Armenian communities in their developing years. The Armenians were usually business owners. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313738 149313738 Waller County Court House and Jail 1894 Public school was taught in the old jail house located on the north half of block 143 in Hempstead until about 1888. The graduating class of 1888 numbered 6 or 8, with only one graduate in 1889. The largest enrollment in the two-story jail and some smaller buildings on the grounds numbered well over one hundred students and four teachers. The first teachers were Professor T. A. Kelly and Mr. Payne in the main building with Mrs. Pole and Mina Kossom in the small buildings. Finally the students marched in body to the large new two-story, brick school on 12th Street. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149316417 149316417 Frels Tin Shop in Brookshire ca. 1890 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600550 135600550 Christmas in Pattison 1896 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=134781518 134781518 Fifth Street in Brookshire 1960 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600901 135600901 Haak Store near Pattison http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600898 135600898 Baronian Gin near Pattison This gin was across FM 1458 from the Haak Store. The gin was powered by a hugh Stream Engine. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600337 135600337 Donigan Gin Engine Room in Pattison Engine room after the 1900 storm. The P.H. Donigan family and employee Cornelius Blair are pictured. Courtesy H.P. Donigan http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600506 135600506 Haak's Landing Area near Pattison http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600625 135600625 Will Green Lumber Co. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600628 135600628 Brookshire Water Tower late 1950 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600629 135600629 Will Gra Lumber Co. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600633 135600633 Max Wander Dry Good in Brookshire http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600911 135600911 Brookshire Drying Company http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600912 135600912 Hempstead Citizens State Bank http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600915 135600915 Unknown County Area http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600916 135600916 ML Stocking Store early 1900 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601101 135601101 D. Agopian Insurance Agency http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601103 135601103 Brazos Rain Road Bridge Remains Old Hwy 159 bridge from Hempstead to Bellville. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=148153440 148153440 Camp Groce 1863 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149525211 149525211 Soloman Building http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601106 135601106 Wood Structure on Brazos Old Hwy 159 bridge from Hempstead to Bellville. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=148153441 148153441 Brookshire Arms Nursing Home http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601108 135601108 Bridge Remains Old Hwy 159 bridge from Hempstead to Bellville. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149454923 149454923 Prairie View Post Office http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601118 135601118 Hempstead Parade 1956 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601120 135601120 Brookshire R. R. Depot 1910 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601126 135601126 Gradys Hotel in Brookshire 1893 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601128 135601128 Unknown Town Area http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149402316 149402316 Hwy 90 Front Street in Brookshire 1950 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601129 135601129 Old Road to Liendo Plantation 1853 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149454929 149454929 Jackson Cafe in Sunnyside http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149454924 149454924 American Legion Swimming Pool in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601363 135601363 American Legion Swimming Pool in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601102 135601102 Brookshire Municiple Building 1956 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601366 135601366 Farmers State Bank http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601368 135601368 G. H. Zahimen Store http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601373 135601373 Waller Main Street http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601374 135601374 Hempstead News Office 1924 Taken in early 1920's looking west one block east of the railroad tracks where the street light is now located. Looking west from 9th, http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149402323 149402323 Haaks Store near Pattison http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601377 135601377 Rochen's Blacksmith Building in Waller Taken after the 1910 tornado hit Waller area. Located on south side of main street. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329206 191329206 Hempstead Parade 1956 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601380 135601380 Pattison Teachers Duplex http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601383 135601383 Carters Furniture Store in Brookshire http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601392 135601392 Garrett Drug Store in Waller Jim Garret in picture http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329208 191329208 Garrett Drug Store in Waller Jack Garrett in picture http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329209 191329209 J. C. Jenkins Store and Owner in Waller http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601395 135601395 Brookshire Water Tower late 1950s http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601396 135601396 Old Roy McCellam Barbar Shop in Waller Inside view http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329210 191329210 Brookshire Downtown http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601397 135601397 Point Cafe in Waller Grand Opening R C Smith seated on stool in white shirt, Ellis Lavette left side facing camera, Dora Umland Garrett right side in speckled dress http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329211 191329211 Brookshire Drying Company http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601398 135601398 Christmas at the Waller County Museum http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601400 135601400 Waller Fine Foods Main Street looking east. Old Barbar Shop on left, then Point Cafe http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329214 191329214 Prisoners cutting stone for the Capital Building in Austin http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149832368 149832368 Prisoners assembles to build Capital building in Austin http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149832369 149832369 Waller Main Street Looking East http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329216 191329216 Capital Building in Austin construction http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149832370 149832370 Waller Post Office http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329217 191329217 Unknown Area http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149532904 149532904 Unknown Building http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601402 135601402 Brookshire Demplishion Machine http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601404 135601404 Bradbury Liver Stable in Waller http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601408 135601408 Menke's Wind Mill http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149532909 149532909 Singlair Gas Station in Waller Ace Hardware to left http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329222 191329222 Groce Memorial http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601369 135601369 Texaco Gas Station in Waller http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329223 191329223 Groce Memorial http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601123 135601123 Waller Weygand Hotel & Umland Brothers Hardware on right http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191329224 191329224 Groce Memorial http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601125 135601125 Groce Memorial http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601124 135601124 Groce Memorial http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601393 135601393 Groce Memorial http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601161 135601161 Groce Memorial Dedication http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601399 135601399 Groce Memorial http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601160 135601160 Rainroad Bridge Post remains Austin Branch Railroad Bridge http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149532911 149532911 Avery's Grocery Store, 1938-1962 From left: Bob Tubbs (meat market operator), three unknown customers, Robert W. Avery (owner). http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=138870682 138870682 Avery's Grocery From left: Bob Tubbs, Willene (Stallknecht) Chandler, Marie (Avery) Chambers. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=138870889 138870889 Avery's Grocery Picture of store as when Robert and Marie were owners. Former owner was Robert's father, J.W. Avery. J. W. Avery died in 1928 and his son continue to operate the store until his death in 1962. J. W. Avery bought cotton in addition to running the store as did Robert when he took over the business. Cotton was king around Brookshire at this time. The Brazos River bottom as farmed by many tenants, and on Saturday all the farm hands would come to town and stay until midnight socializing. The streets on Hwy 90, which was the main street, would be standing room only for people who came to town in wagons and other transportation. After the tractors and big farm equipment came in, all this changed, which replaced the cotton picking and other types of hand labor. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=138871856 138871856 Buildings in Hempstead beside railroad http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313189 149313189 BROOKSHIRE - FRONT STREET, BETWEEN COOPER AND OTTO ST. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313190 149313190 Slave Quarters on the Cuny Plantation (1) http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=143840264 143840264 Slave Quarters on the Cuny Plantation (2) http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=143840265 143840265 Slave Quarters on the Cuny Plantation (3) http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=143840266 143840266 Slave Quarters on the Cuny Plantation (4) http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=143840267 143840267 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149533229 149533229 Amsler Oil Mill in Hempstead C. Amsler?s mills covered the east half of block #248 between Main and Washington, and between 13th and 14th streets. The drawing pictures the corner of Main and 13th street, circa 1920. A 1924 inventory includes a grist mill with a Murphy press, a cake mill, an R. crusher, a gin room, a brick linter room and press, three W. Ho.s, a Seed Ho., and a Hull Ho. The office was in the corner bldg. Amsler?s estate may have include the west half of the block which included the old Machy Store, a small shop, an oil Ho. and a one story frame residence on the corner of Washington and 14th street. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313191 149313191 July 4th in Hempstead by Shindler Gin http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313192 149313192 Calvery at Civil War Re-enactment at Liendo http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149533231 149533231 Austin Street 1910 in Hempstead From left: M. S. Robinson - dry goods & clothing J. G. Elliott - stationary, crockery McDade & Wagnon - saloon the alley A. Wilding - shoes Galernsky, Jake - dry goods Cole Drug Store B. Schwarz & Son - furniture & wood posts http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313193 149313193 Farmers National Bank in Hempstead 1915 ERECTED BY ZADOW IN 1893 HIS MANSION IS BEHIND TO THE RIGHT http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313196 149313196 BradburyStore Area farmers gathered in front of the Bradbury Store and Post Office. The Bradbury Cotton Gin was to the left. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313197 149313197 BROOKSHIRE - FRONT STREET, BETWEEN COOPER AND OTTO ST. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313198 149313198 Brookshire http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313199 149313199 Cotton Gin Restraurant Donigan Cotton Gin South of Highway 90 at FM-362 in Brookshire, the Donigan cotton gin, built in 1936 by H. F. Donigan was the last operating gin in Waller County. After falling into disuse, after 1948, the old gin was converted into a restaurant in 1979 by Mr. and Mrs. Harris Garrett. An older Donigan gin in Patterson was built in the 1870?s. It was purchased by Hagadoor Donigan in 1886. The Donigans were the first complete family of Armenians to settle in Pattison. Much more on these gins, and others in Waller County, may be found in ?Cotton Gins of Waller County? by the Waller County Historical Commission. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313306 149313306 Farmers National Bank Left to right: L G Morrison, Luvis Amsler, F W Zadow http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313307 149313307 Gas Station http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313308 149313308 Donigan Cotton Gin in Pattison http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313309 149313309 Cotton Gin http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313310 149313310 Donigan's Gin in Pattison before 1900 storm http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313312 149313312 Hempstead Buildings on Austin Street 1910 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313314 149313314 Hempstead City Square and City Hall Looking north across the City Square, which now contains the City Hall, Post Office, Fire Station, and City Park, we see the two-story Urban Bldg. next to the alley. Sam Swartz is painted on the side of a two-story building, in the far center distance, which faces 12th Street. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313315 149313315 Hempstead Wattermelon Shipments View from Bremond at 11th Street http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313316 149313316 Austin Street in Hempstead Looking West http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313317 149313317 Hempstead Street Looking east, the courthouse dome is in the distance over the star on the Swartz Bldg, which is on the corner of 11th or Red River St. and Austin. The larger building, with the Coca Cola sign, before the Swartz Bldg. is the Urban Bldg, which still stands today - next to an alley. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313318 149313318 Gladys Hotel in Brookshire http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313574 149313574 Gladys Hotel and guest http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313575 149313575 Howth Store http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313576 149313576 July 4th Parade in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313577 149313577 Katy Rail Road http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313578 149313578 Livery Stable http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313579 149313579 Wilpitz Meat Market in Brookshire http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313580 149313580 Mercy Store http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313581 149313581 Amsler Oil Mill - Main & 13th Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313582 149313582 Mrs. Mack Diner http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313737 149313737 Rail Road Station in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313739 149313739 Oxen Team in Town http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313740 149313740 U. S. Post Office in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313741 149313741 Prairie View Post Office http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313742 149313742 Schwarz Building http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313743 149313743 Haak's Store near Pattison http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313744 149313744 Weygand Hotel in Waller (1892 - 1906) Located on the north side of Main Street. Hotel history may be found in ?The History of Waller County, Texas? by Burman and Schulz. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313846 149313846 Waller Street http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313847 149313847 Waller Fair in Waller http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149313848 149313848 Flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837002 149837002 Kohler house in flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837003 149837003 Kohler house in flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837004 149837004 Kohler house in flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837006 149837006 Flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837005 149837005 Flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837007 149837007 Flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837008 149837008 Flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837009 149837009 Flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837010 149837010 Dredging ferry landing area http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837011 149837011 Dredging ferry landing area http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837014 149837014 Flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837012 149837012 Flood of 1941 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837013 149837013 Swimming cattle across river http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837015 149837015 Swimming cattle across river http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837016 149837016 Swimming cattle across river http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837017 149837017 Swimming cattle across river http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837019 149837019 Cattle in Kohler yard after swim across river http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149837018 149837018 R. R. Urban Bank in Hempstead R R Urban on right http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373546 150373546 Butcher Shop http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373547 150373547 K.C. Steakhouse in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373548 150373548 Donigans Cotton Gin in Pattison http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373549 150373549 Fowler's Grocery Store in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373550 150373550 View of Early Hempstead - Austin Street 1910 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373551 150373551 Machine and Welding Shop in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373552 150373552 Ford Dealership in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373557 150373557 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373558 150373558 Hempstead City Hall http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373559 150373559 Waller County Jail in Hempstead Used from 1894-1955 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373560 150373560 K C Steak House in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373561 150373561 G-Kelley's Steak House in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373562 150373562 Kluna's Ice House in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373563 150373563 Pleasant Hill Masonic Lodge in Fields Store The Pleasant Hill Masonic Lodge also served as the Pleasant Hill School. It was located in the Fields Store Community at the intersection of FM-1488 and FM-362. The building is a two-story built about 1906 and covered with lap siding. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373593 150373593 Hempstead Community Center Rock building build by WPA. C.R. Chamberland was the foreman of this project which was visited by Eleanor Roosevelt during its construction. A newspaper article during the time of her visit indicated that she ate crackers & cheese on the corner by Winfree's Grocery store ( Doug Holleman's building) & visited with local citizens. The building was used for birthday parties, wedding receptions, showers, scout meetings, elections etc, and the Church of Christ met there before building their first building. High School students had a Youth Club there during the summer and during football season, after game dances were held there. The Waller County Library was located in south or right hand room. The kitchen was on the north or left hand side. There was a fireplace in the large middle room. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373594 150373594 Schwarz and Sons Clothing Store in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373595 150373595 Sorsby's Dealership http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373596 150373596 Sorsby's Chevy Dealership in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373597 150373597 Warren's Insurance Company in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373598 150373598 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=197971653 197971653 Winfree's Lucky Seven Super Market in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373599 150373599 Wendt's Super Market in Hempstead Current location of McDonalds http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150373600 150373600 Waller County Court House, Nov. 7, 1958 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=155094754 155094754 Fields Store Community Building The Fields Store School consolidated with Waller in 1953. The autos date this photo. This building burned in April 2001. The following is from: Fields Store Schools by Miss Jimmie Rene Ogg. The first school in the Fields Store area was authorized in 1887. One acre was donated in 1888 and a one-room building was erected during the summer of 1888. The district was Waller County School District 2 and a six-month school term opened in October. In 1913, the school was moved to land donated by Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Harris. On this site a two-room building was erected and a second teacher added. In 1922, Fields Store District consolidated with the Myrtle Grove District. Four teachers were employed to teach grades one through ten, and the first school bus was purchased by Waller County. Myrtle Grove had consolidated with the Gladish School some fifteen years earlier In 1929, the Lawrence Key Colored School, west of Fields Store, consolidated with Lane View. Lane View was soon annexed into the Hempstead School District and the students have since attended the Schwarz School in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=155895581 155895581 Bradbury Store at Joseph http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314919 168314919 Gin at Myrtle Grove http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314920 168314920 Brookshire Rice Drying Co http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314921 168314921 1st Gin at Joseph, burned http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314922 168314922 2nd Gin at Joseph http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314923 168314923 Munsy Building http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314924 168314924 Shindler Gin, Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314925 168314925 T. D. Wood Gin, Howth http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314926 168314926 Waller County Court House, Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314927 168314927 Waller Depot http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314928 168314928 Royal High School http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168582104 168582104 Waller Train Depot http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168582105 168582105 Camp Groce in 1860's http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=174928229 174928229 Donald's Livery Stable http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183371192 183371192 Second Bank of Brookshire 1914-1915 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183371193 183371193 Old Kirby Hall (aka Alta Vista) The Jared E. Kirby Plantation Mansion. After Mrs. Kirby sold the property to the State, the old Kirby Plantation became Prairie View Normal (A school of higher education - and especially in agriculture). The mansion, Kirby Hall, became the first building to be used by the Prairie View Normal. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=185697541 185697541 Bridge over Brazos at SanFelipe http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=189787168 189787168 Gus Lee Buller's School One room school located at Bozeman Rd on Ed & Neva's property, taken in 2012. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=189914356 189914356 Donigan Cottton Gin in Pattison http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=189914360 189914360 Old Methodist Church in Pattison, late 1960's http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=189914361 189914361 Pattison Post Office and Grocery Post Masters: Name was originally spelled Patterson because Post Master thought the Pattison spelling was incorrect. Thomas N Benus - 5/27/1879 Edward Barton - 9/30/1880 Henry P. Downman - 10/10/1883 Clifford Axson - 9/28/1885 Leonard W, Waller - 3/2/1887 Nathan Murray - 10/4/1888 John W. Mantey - 8/1/1892 Winie E. Cliett - 7/24/1894 Changed spelling to Pattison: Winie E. Cliett - 3/8/1916 Claude L. Cliett - 3/18/1931 Allen M. Taylor - 1962 Lynn T. Bell, Betty Taylor, Millie ? http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=189914362 189914362 Harrison Grocery Brookshire John Harrison pictured. Located at 4123 Front Street. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=190399983 190399983 Harrison Grocery Brookshire John Harrison pictured. Located at 4123 Front Street. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=190399984 190399984 Harrison Grocery Brookshire John Harrison pictured. Located at 4123 Front Street. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=190399985 190399985 Dairy Mart in Waller 1956 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=191519648 191519648 Waller, TX Train Depot Donated by Ashley Byre http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=198775838 198775838 God's Mercy Store, Waller, TX Hand Painted by Joe Musil, 2015 The little town of Waller Texas, located between Brenham and Houston on Highway 290, was named for the early Texas statesman, Edwin Waller. However, tiny Waller has an often overlooked claim to fame that is unique from any place else in the country or perhaps even the whole world. Believe It or Not ... A general store in Waller, Texas, "Where purchasers pay any price they please" was the curiosity of the day, January 29, 1935, in the famous Ripley's "Believe It or Not!" illustrated strip which appeared daily in most newspapers across the country. This was a general store that conducted business in downtown Waller for 50 years, from 1915 to 1965, appropriately named "God's Mercy Store". Unfortunately, instead of receiving a historical marker, restoration, and a much deserved place in Texas History, it received the wrecking ball in 1977 and subsequent obscurity! "God's Mercy Store", once located just south of the Waller train depot, on the "Old Houston Highway" (Washington Avenue) between Alliance and Penick streets, featured one-stop shopping ... grocery store, soda fountain, barber shop, hardware store, feed store and gas station all in one building! It was a stone's throw for railroad passengers from the depot. So? What was so unusual about "God's Mercy Store"? Although different versions of the story may still be told, basically, when a customer checked out with their purchases ... the prices listed and totaled on the receipt were strictly the wholesale costs paid by the store with no markup. When times were bad ... it was alright for you to pay only the cost. When times were good ... you paid cost and then some at your discretion ... in return for God's mercy and to keep the store operating. Incredible as it may sound, this was the order of business from the day it opened in 1915 until the day it closed its doors forever in 1965. It was just as simple as that ... when you were in a tight spot financially ... you were shown God's Mercy in not having to pay more than necessary for life's necessities. When times were good ... you repaid God for his mercy during the times of need. This was quite different from the usual system that maintains tabs and continues to increase your burden with harsh interest for what you could not pay in times of need. The Purvis family was truly sincere in their dedication to God and helping other people. They worked hard to keep the store operating and were never wealthy. Their lifestyle was a testimonial to anyone who may have questioned their unusual business practices. When the building and property were sold in the 1970's, and the original deed was read ... the owners were listed as "Almighty God and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ" ... believe it or not. Joe Musil http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=199063481 199063481 God's Mercy Store (1915-1965) http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=199862535 199862535 Old Mathis Hotel 1980 NE corner of Main and Saunders St. in Waller, Architect: Jared E. Groce. This building was bought by Mrs. Mathis in 1923, and she operated it as a hotel for the busy RR town of Waller. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=199382815 199382815 Old Mathis Hotel 2015 Slated to be torn down or moved to erect a new city hall. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=199382816 199382816 Old Mathis 2015 Slated to be torn down or moved to erect a new city hall. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=199382817 199382817 Baptist Church 1949 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=199587124 199587124 St. Johns Lutheral Church 1920s http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=199587125 199587125 V.A. Bradbury & Co.Cotton Gin 1914 Located in Waller, TX Submitted by Jim Haney http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=200228300 200228300 Haney Brothers Store Opened in 1938 in Waller, TX. Pictured from left to right: J.E. "Jim" Haney, Norma Wollgast Haney and Giles Haney. In the background is the residence of Jim Jenkins. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=200228301 200228301 Pattison Area Barn early 1900's Donated by Billy Knight http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=200428875 200428875 Downtown Pattison early 1900's Donated by Billy Knoght http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=200428876 200428876 Pattison Area House early 1900;s Donated by Billy Knight http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=200428878 200428878 Pattison Area House early 1900's Donated by Biiiy Knight http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=200428879 200428879 Pattison Area House early 1900's Donated by Billy Knight http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=200428880 200428880 Museum 1984 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203961993 203961993 Waller County Courthouse 1950 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203966033 203966033 Edwin Waller home place buildings http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203982029 203982029 1915 Silo Erected by Lonia D Rice http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203999538 203999538 Fields Store Gin John Frinklin Jones, owner of Fields Store Gin, son of I. N. Jones http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203999539 203999539 Hubert & Marie (Stenzel) Muske House Built in 1907 near Pattison, TX http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203999540 203999540 Waller County Library, Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203999541 203999541 Rufus Muske House Built in 1885 near Pattison, TX http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203999542 203999542 Waller County Court House 1893-1954 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204004080 204004080 Max Wander Store http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204004081 204004081 Bradbury Store, Cotton Gin, Post Office, Joseph, TX http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204005596 204005596 Prairie View Post Office http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204005597 204005597 Donald's Livery Stable, Brookshire Article about renting to Courter's http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204005598 204005598 Donald's Livery Stable, Brookshire http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204005599 204005599 Farmers in front of Bradbury Store, Joseph, TX http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204005600 204005600 Kirby House at PVA&M http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204053210 204053210 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204069687 204069687