Waller County Churches http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/ Waller County Churches Reid's Prairie Baptist Church Location: FM 362 15 miles north of Waller, mile north of FM 2979 - FM 362 junction Organized Aug 24, 1890 with 17 members. Sanctuary built, 1895 on Navasota Stage Road. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=199135896 199135896 Brookshire United Methodist Church 1915-1953 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601117 135601117 Northern German Church The Northern German church at Pattison while it was still at Phillipsburg (the building was moved from Phillipsburg to Pattison some time after the Phillipsburg church closed in 1918) The building was later moved from Pattison and is still in use by the Harper UMC in Monaville. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=137620762 137620762 Northern German Church Interior http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=137620763 137620763 Old First Methodist Church of Hempstead Located 3 blocks south of the Courthouse on 9th street. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135600909 135600909 Brookshire United Methodist Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601099 135601099 German Methodist Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601376 135601376 Brookshire Sacred Heart Catholic Church 1961 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601407 135601407 Brookshire Methodist Church Shown as it was in the 1930's. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=137620761 137620761 Pattison Methodist East German Church 1921 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=138872853 138872853 Pattison Methodist Episcopal German Church 1902-03 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=138872854 138872854 Rosehill United Methodist Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=138929300 138929300 BETHLEHEM UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - Hempstead Around the year 1869, the ministers of Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church South - Rev. Spencer Hardwell and Rev. Alexander Gillum among them, in a church/school building located a block northwest of the present church site. In 1871, the L. A. griffin estate conveyed Lot 6, Block 165 to Samuel Kingston, Robert Stanfield, Wesley Childs, Isaac Smith, and Alexander Gillum, who helped complete the building in 1872. Milas Johnson, father of Mrs. Floyd Harvey hauled the lumber from the mill. An adjoining lot was purchased for a parsonage in 1889. Another building was completed, only to be destroyed by the 1900 hurricane. After rebuilding in 1901, the congregation provided repairs as needed and in 1945 began a building fund. The parsonage, next to the church, was completed around 1917. After the Uniting Conference in 1939, the name was changed to Bethlehem United Methodist Church. Remodeling was completed in 1950, while members attended services in a school building. Again in 1972, remodeling provided the congregation with a large brick building on the corner of Eighth and Wilkins. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511119 149511119 CURRY'S CHAPEL BAPTIST CHURCH - Brookshire/Kellner Robert Stephenson, Allen Sampson, and Harry Clark bought one acre in the Wm. Cooper Survey from George and Elsie Curry in 1917. In 1926, the trustees, Stephenson, Clark, and Archie Clayton bought one acre out of a four acre tract conveyed by Peter Bijbigian to George Curry. Records do not give the date of construction. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511120 149511120 CEDAR CREEK METHODIST CHURCH An agreement between W. A. Does and John Pitts Sr. is recorded wherein for money expended by T. M. Morris (for building or the one acre?) on Cedar Creek Church, they would each pay half. The church would be used for both Methodist and Baptist services and for school. The agreement was not dated. Prior to 1925, Mrs. Mariabelle Thornton Cooke held Sunday School for children of all denominations. Joe B. Dewees attended school here and was the first regular Apostolic Faith preacher in 1925. In latter years, Sarah Johnson lived in the building after her home, which had been on the Kloecker place for many years, was destroyed by fire. Cedar Creek was one of the first schools in Waller County. Located on the SW corner of Cedar Creek (FM-2979) and Kloecker Road. Kloecker Road is a section of the old Hempstead - Navasota stage trail. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511121 149511121 CHURCH OF CHRIST - Hempstead The Church of Christ in Hempstead developed in the late 1880's with the tent meetings of J. D. Tant, an old time evangelist. He also held meetings in the Howth School, located on FM-1736 at the railroad. In 1895, D. H. Williams helped assemble the first organized Church of Christ in Hempstead. One of the first preachers was Mr. McGary. C. R. Carter became the regular preacher in 1900 to 1901. In 1901 a lot was purchased and a building constructed. Preachers included D. F. Draper, Z. T. Winfree and Mr. Nelson. About 1920, T. F. Thompson and the congregation sold the property and the small group no longer met regularly until the fall of 1938. A group met from house to house until a building was constructed in 1949 at 6th and Main. This church served until a new building was built on the same general location in 1953. The first 'full time' preacher came to the congregation in 1952. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511122 149511122 COMMUNITY CHAPEL - Hempstead In 1947, a group of Christians began a prayer meeting in the home of Ed and Frances Stork in Waller - ministers who had a radio broadcast each Sunday over KWHI, a Brenham station. The prayer group continued for many years and in July of 1964, the old Baptist Church in Hempstead was purchased. Rev. Stork held regular services and the church was named 'Community Chapel' as it was non-denominational. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511123 149511123 CENTER HILL BAPTIST CHURCH Abraham Simmons, Delum Toler, and Henry Goodwin - all trustees of the Center Hill Baptist Church bought one acre from D. C. Lookingbill in 1882. Lookingbill donated two more acres for a church and cemetery in 1885. Located on Center Hill Road, a section of the old Hempstead - Navasota stagecoach trail. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511124 149511124 Unknown http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511125 149511125 Brookshire First United Methodist Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601121 135601121 EPISCOPAL CHURCH - Hempstead/Prairie View Built in Hempstead in 1870, for St. Bartholomew's congregation, the structure was moved to Prairie View in 1956. A recorded Texas Historic Landmark, it became the home of Prairie View's St. Francis Episcopal congregation. In 1987, it was moved to FM-1098 in Prairie View, where it became the place of worship for Hope A. M. E. Church. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511127 149511127 FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH - Hempstead Early records of the Hempstead Baptist Church, as it was then called, have been lost. An item from the Union Baptist Association minutes, tells of a meeting in 1858, in which delegates from the Hempstead Baptist Church presented a petition and were received into the Association. A church on block 244 was destroyed in the storm of 1884. Another church was built and used until 1899, when it was moved to the southeast corner of block 144. This church was torn down in 1932. In 1934, another church was built on the southwest corner of block 217. Construction of a new church on block 239 (Main and 5th) began and dedication services were held in 1964. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511128 149511128 FIRST METHODIST CHURCH - Hempstead The earliest record of a Methodist Church building in Hempstead was at the corner of Tenth and Austin Streets on lots acquired in 1872. The 1900 storm wrecked the steeple and it was never replaced. In 1907, the building was sold to Zol Tompkins and moved to the corner of Ninth and Wilkens, where it became the Tompkins home. By 1912, final payments were made on a new building at Tenth and Austin. In 1930, because of high traffic, the building was moved to lots in a residential area, in block 243 - bounded by 7th and 8th and Main and Washington. With the continued growth of the church, larger facilities were needed and steps were taken in 1955 to acquire property in adjoining blocks 241 and 243. The present building was completed in 1957. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511129 149511129 FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - Hempstead Prior to 1859, the Presbyterians held services in Grave's Chapel in the north part of Hempstead. In 1859, a meeting attended by H. S. Graves, J. G. Boon, Mrs. Sarah Rankin, M. E. Thompson, R. S. Boone, M. B. Graves, E. W. Samuels, and J. M. Hutton was held to consider the interests of the church. Apparently disrupted by the Civil War, it was 1869 before a parcel of land, Lot 6, Block 196 was purchased from C. Ennis and a new church building was constructed. In 1879, the Graves' School was taught by T. A. Kelly and Ben W. Cunningham. Another building was erected in 1896 and completely remodeled in 1929 by M. M. Graves. Mr. Wilford Penny filled the pulpit in 1939 and the Church Roll numbered forty. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511130 149511130 GREATER WADE'S BAPTIST CHURCH - Clemons Trustees of the church known as Wade's Chapel received two acres from P. M. Cuny out of the SE corner of a tract allotted to P. M. and Mary Cuny in the Deed of Partition E. Waller estate in 1897. Located on the corner of FM-1458 and Neiman Road. Clemons is west of Pattison. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511131 149511131 HARPER CHAPEL METHODIST CHURCH HARPER CHAPEL METHODIST CHURCH - Sunnyside/Monaville (OLD PATTISON LUTHERAN CHURCH) In 1919 Matilda Harper conveyed one and one-quarter acres in the Irons League to the trustees. In 1925 two more acres were added from Harry Stubblefield. When the Pattison Lutheran Church completed their new building, the Harper Chapel members purchased the old building and moved it to the site on Harper Chapel Road. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511426 149511426 LEWISVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH Lewisville, sometimes referenced as Louisville, is a black community named for Louis Gooden, on Lynn Bayou or Lewisville Creek. Before the Brazos shifted westward and formed Perry Lake, Lewisville Road continued from Hempstead to the Hinton Ferry on the Brazos. The Lewisville School lasted from 1873 until it was annexed into the Hempstead School District in the late 1920's. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511427 149511427 LAWRENCE KEY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH Trustees of the Lawrence Key Methodist Episcopal Church South received the deed to six acres from J. M. and Mamie Key in 1891. The land was part of the Willie Lewis tract 'to be used for divine and school purposes.' Very little information is available locally on this older church, but recently with a small membership, trustees John Livingston, Melvin Sheperd, Johnny Ragston, Howard Sheperd, and Secretary Roberts Livingston continue to maintain this church. The church is on the north side of FM-1736 about two miles east of Highway 6. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511429 149511429 MT. CORINTH BAPTIST CHURCH - Hempstead The origin of the Mt. Corinth Baptist church is unknown. Church was held by Methodists and Baptists on alternate Sundays in the same house. It was located about where Mrs. Etta Williams residence now stands. The first organization of the church was under Rev. I. S. Campbell, who conducted services once a month about 1885. The first building was on a site later occupied by Hauck's Garage. In 1891, under the pastorate of Rev. F. L. Lights and trustees L. J. Starks, H. l. Davis, and G. W. Wyatt, a new church was erected. The 1900 storm demolished it, and a new church was built that year. In 1915, the need for a fourth church structure became almost a necessity when a tornado struck Hempstead. Repairs and remodeling occurred during the 1920's and 1940's - some times services were held in the public school. The present building, on the SE corner of Austin and 7th Street, was built in 1959 and since remodeled . http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511430 149511430 Monaville Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511431 149511431 MACEDONIA PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH - Waller Trustees C. Smith, T. Smith, and Milo Wilson bought lots 5, 6, 7, and 8 in the College Addition in Waller from A. W. Umland in 1925. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511432 149511432 Mt. CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH - Pattison Church members received one acre in the SW corner of John and Vinie McCowns forty acre tract in 1889. The land had been purchased from J. F. Muske and was situated about thirty feet south of the narrow gauge H. W. N. R. R. tracks. Date of the first building on this site is unknown. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511433 149511433 PINE ISLAND BAPTIST CHURCH In 1887, the Pine island Baptist church organized in the Hopewell Schoolhouse with thirteen charter members. Rev. M. A. Clouts and Rev. L. E. Kellis alternated as missionary pastors, then Rev. J. F. Dobbs became the first pastor. In 1898, S. A. Garrett, T. G. Ashford, J. E. Mills, G. T. Rawls, and J. R. Garrett were appointed as a committee to consider construction of a church building. It was completed in 1900 on land donated by John Mills, and then damaged by the hurricane of that year. Damaged again by the 1915 storm, it was again rebuilt. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511434 149511434 PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511435 149511435 PATTISON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511436 149511436 St. MARTIN de PORRES CATHOLIC CHURCH - Prairie View The Blessed Martin de Porres Club was formed to serve the Catholic students at Prairie View A & M in 1939. Father H. J. Vincent of St. Marys Catholic Church in Hempstead and 37 students attended the first service. On Easter Sunday, 1962 the new 200 seat chapel was used for the first time. This first permanent chapel was constructed on Thompson Road with right-of-way to FM-1098. Bishop Wendelin J. Nold dedicated the chapel. The first wedding was in 1963. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511437 149511437 ROCK ISLAND BAPTIST CHURCH In 1893, William Pryor, Dock Jackson, and Napoleon Bridges all trustees of the Rock Island Baptist Church bought ones acre in the J. C Bartlett survey, about eight miles NW of Hempstead off FM-1736. The church served the Rock Island, Howth, and Cedar Creek Communities in NW Waller County. 1893 Pastor. B. W. Wade Wm. Pryor M. Jones J. Murphy H. Clay B. Northwerther N. Bridget D. Jackson http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511438 149511438 Brookshire First Methodist Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135601401 135601401 REID'S PRAIRIE BAPTIST CHURCH In 1890 a meeting was held in the nearby Myrtle Grove school house to organize the Reid's Prairie Baptist Church. Services were held in the school until the church was built in 1895 on land donated by D. A. McAlpine on FM-362 in North Waller County, near the Grimes County line. Rev. J. N. Clayton was the first pastor with charter members including families McConnell, Danford, Shelton, McAlpine, Campbell, Milam, Robertson, Andrews, Ray, and Sanders. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511439 149511439 SECOND CORINTH BAPTIST CHURCH One acre was donated by R. R. McDade Jr. to trustees, Berry Hardaway, Tony Burnew, Charles Randle, and Squire Paynes in 1869. Witnessed by A. C. Tompkins, notary. Another acre was donated in 1894. Located off FM-1736 in the Mauser League http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511440 149511440 STAR OF HOPE MISSION CHAPEL (Oldham Chapel) Congregation organized in 1928 with services in English and German. Rev. Ewald Henrt Schwengel was the founder and first pastor. Three other churches in the Cypress area conducted services in German. The chapel was donated by the 'Christ United Church' and restored and furnished by the Oldham Little Church Foundation in 1971. Located in the G. W. Clary survey in NW Waller County. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511521 149511521 SHILOH BAPTIST CHURCH - north of Prairie View The Shiloh Community developed shortly after the Civil War and the congregation included veterans. The church and cemetery is on FM-1098, north of Prairie View. The oldest convent in 1871 listed: Thomas Armer, Sarah Armer, Sarah A. Armer, Joseph Armer, Elizabeth Armer, S. P. Norwood, William H. Loggins, Emma Loggins. Mary Leanford, Mary Lee Johnson, E. B. Roberson, Catherine Worthington, Martha Grimes http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511522 149511522 ST. LUKE'S BAPTIST CHURCH - Center Hill St. Luke's Missionary Baptist Church bought one acre on the north side of the Hempstead and Courtney Road from Delum Toller and wife in 1887. Jessie Deslin, a widow, sold to jasper Garrett, Ed Thompson, and Jessie Deslin, trustees of the St. Lukes Baptist Church of the Center Hill Community a parcel of land out of the McLin Bracy League in 1970. The Hempstead - Courtney Road is the same as the later Hempstead - Navasota Road, which was replaced first by the Howth Road along railroad, and later by Highway 6. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511523 149511523 ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH (1960) - Hempstead Reverend Alfred W. Raye was pastor from 1956 to 1960. During this time the Catholic Youth Organization was formed and a new beautiful church was erected. The next priest was Father Joseph Schneider. The final indebtedness was paid off and plans for a new rectory were made. This is next to the old St. Mary's Church, which was later moved to the new property on FM-1488. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511524 149511524 ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH - Hempstead St. Mary's Catholic Church dates back to the beginning of the Civil War. Services were held infrequently in private homes by priests from Galveston or Houston. The first church building was built and a cemetery started in 1879. A missionary priest still served the church, but his visits were irregular - especially in winter. Catholic families of this era were the McCarthys, Urbans, Youngs, Pyes, Smiths, and Felkers. In 1890 a tornado demolished the little church. In 1892, stimulated by Father Joseph Klein, the member raised the amount necessary for the erection of a new building. A Sunday School was organized in 1893. Misses Maggie Connelly, Alice Urban, Edith Young, Maggie Nahm, and Leola Urban were the teachers. Father George Apel came in 1913 and continued his service for ten years. Father Max Budnick came in 1924 and served for seven years. During this time the congregation increased considerably with the immigration to this area of many Polish families. Father Budnick held two services each Sunday, one in English and one in Polish. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511525 149511525 St. Bartholomens Episcopal Church, Hempstead Built in Hempstead in 1870, for St. Bartholomew?s congregation, the structure was moved to Prairie View in 1956. A recorded Texas Historic Landmark, it became the home of Prairie View?s St. Francis Episcopal congregation. In 1987, it was moved to FM-1098 in Prairie View, where it became the place of worship for Hope A. M. E. Church. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511126 149511126 St. Bartholomens Episcopal Church, Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511526 149511526 Unknown Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511527 149511527 ST. PAUL'S MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH - Brookshire Ed Ridley, Leonard Edwards, and Sam Hill all stated in 1972, that lots seven and eight, block forty-nine in the town of Brookshire have been used by St. Paul's Baptist Church for over fifty years. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511528 149511528 ST. THOMAS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - Addie Gee Rd. Mr. Larry Mannix conveyed two acres on the corner of Addie Gee and Mannix Roads to the trustees of the Mannix Methodist Episcopal Church of Navasota in 1880 to be 'used, kept, maintained, and disposed of as a place of Divine Worship.' A cemetery was started on the corner with the church on Addie Gee and the small Silent Grove School alongside. The church and school served the families of the tenant farmers for Mannix, Menke, and Rufus Hardy, whose farm was across Clear Creek. A bridge, and later only a foot bridge, spanned the creek on Groce Road. In 1946, trustees Walter Granderson, Albert Alrxander, and Millie McDade received one acre from Marion Woodward Jr. on FM-359. After moving, a storm destroyed the building and the congregation proceeded with building a smaller brick church. Rev. J. E. Hoskins was pastor. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511529 149511529 TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH of HEMPSTEAD About 1955, a group of Lutheran Christians and Rev. A. H. Mohr were meeting in the Winkelmann building. From 1956 to 1959, Rev. Walter Thornmeyer was the pastor. Reverend Virgil Pecht was installed in 1962 and the church organized into a congregation of the American Lutheran Church - renamed Trinity Lutheran Church. In1967, ground breaking for the new church was held. Serving on the building committee were Mr. and Mrs. M. A. Dodd Jr., G. W. Kramer, Edward Hoff, Mrs. Lonnie Mikeska, E. H. Iseit, and Arno Pfeffer. By December, dedication services were held and the congregation moved into their new sanctuary. A hall, kitchen, and class rooms have since been added. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511530 149511530 WESLEY CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - Pattison It is unknown when Wesley Chapel was organized. The first deed on record was two acres close to the Brazos from Grant T. Ross to Leroy Samuels, Samuel M. Kingston, and Smith Blackwell as trustees in 1874. The church, which was in the Ross Community, was commonly called 'The Ross Church.' At one time the Asbury School was on the west side of the two acres. After Brazos flooding and erosion demolished the school. The church was moved to a new site conveyed by Roy Muske to trustees, Will Randle, Leonard Andrews, and Louis Byas. The current name was adopted in 1968. The church serves the Garrett Road Community, NW of Pattison. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511531 149511531 WILLIAMS CHAPEL METHODIST CHURCH The Williams Chapel African Church was organized around 1882, when the trustees: Richard Bohanon, Glasgow Talbert, and Rushton Williams accepted one acre from R. H. and Annie Boxley. The Boxleys had a large farm and probably employed local help or tenant farmers. In 1893, trustees Richard Bohanon, Pilgrim Brimley, and Peter Williams received one-half acre from H. and wife Lucy Anastas of Pattison. This land was northwest of that recorded in the first deed. In 1921, the church received one acre on the San Felipe - Houston Road (now FM-1458) on the west side of Irons Creek. This parcel had been purchased by J. J. Josey from E. H. and J. H. Brownlee. The church was moved to this location - probably from the second site. The congregation began remodeling in 1965 and completed in 1967. In 1972, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Kennedy burned and old church records were lost. Over the years, the name was changed to Williams Chapel Methodist Church. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511532 149511532 YELL'S CHAPEL CHURCH of GOD in CHRIST - Hempstead In December of 1934, I. C. Rogers of Harris County sold to the Church of God in Christ, lot 10 of block 86 in Hempstead. Sandy Thomas sold lot 5 of block 86 to the church in 1944. These lots are back to back on Rice Street between 8th and 7th Streets, two blocks north of the courthouse. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511533 149511533 First Baptist Church Burns 1959 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=145410818 145410818 ZION HILL BAPTIST CHURCH - Brookshire Church trustees, R. F. Davis, L. Rice, and H. Pierce bought lot 2 block 52 from John McAllister in Brookshire in 1912. Lot 3 was purchased by trustees, H. D. Blackshear, L. J. Bostick, Charles B. Davis, George Pugh, Felix Mobley, and Stafford Tarver in 1967. And lot 12 was purchased by trustees H. D. Blackshear and N. W. Wilson in 1972. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149511534 149511534 OLD PATTISON LUTHERAN CHURCH In 1919 Matilda Harper conveyed one and one-quarter acres in the Irons League to the trustees. In 1925 two more acres were added from Harry Stubblefield. When the Pattison Lutheran Church completed their new building, the Harper Chapel members purchased the old building and moved it to the site on Harper Chapel Road. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=149515236 149515236 First Presbyterian Chuch in Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=150376558 150376558 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=168314804 168314804 Brookshire Methodist Church built 1953 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=181980378 181980378 Christ Lutheran Church of Pattison 1968 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183370953 183370953 Church of Christ of Brookshire 1968 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183370954 183370954 First Baptist Church of Brookshire 1968 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183370955 183370955 First Methodist Church of Brookshire 1968 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183370956 183370956 Pattison Methodist Church 1968 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183370957 183370957 Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Brookshire 1968 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183370958 183370958 Hempstead Synagogue Photo from the book ?Jewish Stars in Texas: Rabbis and Their Work,? TAMU Press, 1999. The synagogue was constructed in 1880 and used for Jewish worship services until 1939. It was named the Hempstead Hebrew Congregation, although many called it Heychal Chayim, a Hebrew name with dual meaning--Temple of Life or Heinrich's Tent. Rabbi Heinrich Schwarz, a German immigrant, was the synagogue's rabbi. The white clapboard building was constructed by the rabbi's brother, Sam Schwarz, and his son, Benno Schwarz. It was located in the large backyard behind Benno's home. Weekly worship continued until 1939. The synagogue was converted to rental housing, and its altar chairs presented to the Catholic parish church. Eventually, the building was moved or torn down; no one knows for certain. The Hempstead Torah, the parchment scrolls containing the Five Books of Moses, was brought from Germany by the rabbi. Today it is at Houston's Congregation Emanu El. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=187541190 187541190 St. John's Lutheran Church in Waller The congregation of St. John's Lutheran church in Waller was 100 years old this year 2014. It was organized in 1914. The building in the picture was built the following year 1915. The building was moved 2 blocks from its original location and later used by the Macedonia Baptist church until recently. The building still stands ...100 years old ... but it is in poor condition at this time. And a storm blew the bell tower down long ago. The picture depicts the church in the 1920s. Donated by Joseph Musil http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=196748658 196748658 Hope AME Church Prairie View. Building erected 1870. http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=201921595 201921595 First Baptist Church, Brookshire 1951 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203941996 203941996 Mt. Corinth Baptist Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203941997 203941997 Waller Baptsit Church 1917 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203941998 203941998 Waller Baptist Church 1948 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203941999 203941999 First United Methodist Church, Brookshire http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203942215 203942215 Brookshire Church of Christ http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203969568 203969568 Mt. Zion Baptist Church http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203969756 203969756 Zion Hill Baptist Church, Brtookshire http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=203969757 203969757 Macedonia Primitive Baptist Church, Waller http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204005582 204005582 Old St. Mary's Church, Hempstead http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204005583 204005583 First United Methodist Church, Waller 1888 http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204026086 204026086 First United Methodist Church, Waller On Smith Street http://www.wallercountyhistory.org/apps/photos/photo?photoID=204026087 204026087