Waller County Churches
BETHLEHEM UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - Hempstead
Around the year 1869, the ministers of Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church South - Rev. Spencer Hardwell and Rev. Alexander Gillum among them, in a church/school building located a block northwest of the present church site. In 1871, the L. A. griffin estate conveyed Lot 6, Block 165 to Samuel Kingston, Robert Stanfield, Wesley Childs, Isaac Smith, and Alexander Gillum, who helped complete the building in 1872. Milas Johnson, father of Mrs. Floyd Harvey hauled the lumber from the mill. An adjoining lot was purchased for a parsonage in 1889. Another building was completed, only to be destroyed by the 1900 hurricane. After rebuilding in 1901, the congregation provided repairs as needed and in 1945 began a building fund. The parsonage, next to the church, was completed around 1917. After the Uniting Conference in 1939, the name was changed to Bethlehem United Methodist Church. Remodeling was completed in 1950, while members attended services in a school building. Again in 1972, remodeling provided the congregation with a large brick building on the corner of Eighth and Wilkins.