Waller County Churches
FIRST METHODIST CHURCH - Hempstead
The earliest record of a Methodist Church building in Hempstead was at the corner of Tenth and Austin Streets on lots acquired in 1872. The 1900 storm wrecked the steeple and it was never replaced. In 1907, the building was sold to Zol Tompkins and moved to the corner of Ninth and Wilkens, where it became the Tompkins home. By 1912, final payments were made on a new building at Tenth and Austin. In 1930, because of high traffic, the building was moved to lots in a residential area, in block 243 - bounded by 7th and 8th and Main and Washington. With the continued growth of the church, larger facilities were needed and steps were taken in 1955 to acquire property in adjoining blocks 241 and 243. The present building was completed in 1957.