Waller County Churches
PINE ISLAND BAPTIST CHURCH
In 1887, the Pine island Baptist church organized in the Hopewell Schoolhouse with thirteen charter members. Rev. M. A. Clouts and Rev. L. E. Kellis alternated as missionary pastors, then Rev. J. F. Dobbs became the first pastor. In 1898, S. A. Garrett, T. G. Ashford, J. E. Mills, G. T. Rawls, and J. R. Garrett were appointed as a committee to consider construction of a church building. It was completed in 1900 on land donated by John Mills, and then damaged by the hurricane of that year. Damaged again by the 1915 storm, it was again rebuilt.