Schools of Waller County
Fetzer was a railroad town named for an employee of the International and Great Northern RR in northeast Waller County. Located on Riley Road near FM-1774. Fetzer is only remembered today for Henry?s Hideaway, a popular dance hall at in the 1940?s and 1950?s. Patrons (who were or had been drinking) were warned against using the back door - the building backed to a ?dry? county! The Fetzer School was similar in construction and appearance to the Ogg School, a one room building with rough vertical clapboard siding - there was a sawmill at Fetzer. These are typical of the early one-room schools. High ceilings aided ventilation. Later, one or two-room buildings with horizontal lap siding and three windows to a side became a ?standard.? Bess Creek, Cedar Creek, and Highland Home are representative of this new ?standard? construction. Mrs. Minnie Jenkins taught here for 4 months in 1919.