Waller County Texas Historical Commission / Society

Waller County Texas History, offered by the Waller County, TX Historical Commission/Society

Waller County Buildings and Areas

Avery's Grocery

« Back to Album Photo 79 of 224 Previous | Next
Avery's Grocery
Picture of store as when Robert and Marie were owners. Former owner was Robert's father, J.W. Avery. J. W. Avery died in 1928 and his son continue to operate the store until his death in 1962. J. W. Avery bought cotton in addition to running the store as did Robert when he took over the business. Cotton was king around Brookshire at this time. The Brazos River bottom as farmed by many tenants, and on Saturday all the farm hands would come to town and stay until midnight socializing. The streets on Hwy 90, which was the main street, would be standing room only for people who came to town in wagons and other transportation. After the tractors and big farm equipment came in, all this changed, which replaced the cotton picking and other types of hand labor.
Posted on September 27, 2011 Full Size| Slideshow