Schools of Waller County
FIELDS STORE SCHOOL
Field?s Store Community developed after the Civil War, on FM-1488 northeast of Prairie View. There was a church here and likely a school as early as 1845, but was not known as Field?s Store until after D. H. Field purchased land here in 1866. A road once ran west to the Rock Island Ferry, an important crossing at the Brazos River A Post Office was recorded in 1874. A population of 150 supported three stores, a cotton gin, school, Masonic Lodge, and a Woodmen of the World Lodge during the 1890?s and early 1900?s. The old hanging tree was still nearby, in the middle of a road in the 1940?s. Field?s Store was near one of the last big timber sawmill areas, some old timers relate seeing pine stumps 4 to 5 ft. in diameter from the last stand of virgin forest. Others say, ?they were not that large, but they were big.? Field?s Store School was first located near the home of Shaw, then moved to its last location near New Hope Cemetery. School enrollment included 64 students and 3 teachers in 1924. The higher grades began attending Waller in the 1930?s or 1940?s and finally the Fields Store School consolidated with the Waller School in 1953. The pictured building burned in April 2001. Black children attended the Lawrence Key School from 1891 to 1921. Key on FM-1736 consolidated with Laneview School on Laneview Road and later consolidated with Hempstead?s Sam Swartz School in 1934.