Waller County Churches
CHURCH OF CHRIST - Hempstead
The Church of Christ in Hempstead developed in the late 1880's with the tent meetings of J. D. Tant, an old time evangelist. He also held meetings in the Howth School, located on FM-1736 at the railroad. In 1895, D. H. Williams helped assemble the first organized Church of Christ in Hempstead. One of the first preachers was Mr. McGary. C. R. Carter became the regular preacher in 1900 to 1901. In 1901 a lot was purchased and a building constructed. Preachers included D. F. Draper, Z. T. Winfree and Mr. Nelson. About 1920, T. F. Thompson and the congregation sold the property and the small group no longer met regularly until the fall of 1938. A group met from house to house until a building was constructed in 1949 at 6th and Main. This church served until a new building was built on the same general location in 1953. The first 'full time' preacher came to the congregation in 1952.