Early records of the Hempstead Baptist Church, as it was then called, have been lost. An item from the Union Baptist Association minutes, tells of a meeting in 1858, in which delegates from the Hempstead Baptist Church presented a petition and were received into the Association.
A church on block 244 was destroyed in the storm of 1884. Another church was built and used until 1899, when it was moved to the southeast corner of block 144. This church was torn down in 1932. In 1934, another church was built on the southwest corner of block 217.
Construction of a new church on block 239 (Main and 5th) began and dedication services were held in 1964.