Waller County Texas Historical Commission / Society

Waller County Texas History, offered by the Waller County, TX Historical Commission/Society

Waller County Buildings and Areas

Fields Store Community Building

« Back to Album Photo 167 of 224 Previous | Next
Fields Store Community Building
The Fields Store School consolidated with Waller in 1953. The autos date this photo. This building burned in April 2001. The following is from: Fields Store Schools by Miss Jimmie Rene Ogg. The first school in the Fields Store area was authorized in 1887. One acre was donated in 1888 and a one-room building was erected during the summer of 1888. The district was Waller County School District 2 and a six-month school term opened in October. In 1913, the school was moved to land donated by Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Harris. On this site a two-room building was erected and a second teacher added. In 1922, Fields Store District consolidated with the Myrtle Grove District. Four teachers were employed to teach grades one through ten, and the first school bus was purchased by Waller County. Myrtle Grove had consolidated with the Gladish School some fifteen years earlier In 1929, the Lawrence Key Colored School, west of Fields Store, consolidated with Lane View. Lane View was soon annexed into the Hempstead School District and the students have since attended the Schwarz School in Hempstead
Posted on May 16, 2012 Full Size| Slideshow