Schools of Waller County
Hempstead Colored School
The two-story frame building was erected in 1905 and W. L. Davis was the principal from 1906 to 1915. The second story housed a chapel used for morning devotion. Classes were held downstairs. A library was added in 1908 and vocational agriculture was added in 1916. The photo probably shows the agriculture class and their project. The school burned in 1927 and the students attended school in the Baptist and Methodist Churches for the school year until the Sam Swartz school opened in the fall of 1928. The school was located about eight blocks east of the Hempstead railroad depot. The ?Hempstead Texas? Postmark in the lower left corner implies this was a post card. A photo of the Groce School in Hempstead was also made into a post card.