Schools of Waller County
The Kickapoo Indians were a large ?war like? and well known Great Lakes tribe, which migrated to Texas in 1819. Welcomed by the Mexican Government, they made war upon Apaches and Commanches who constantly raided the Mexicans. Austin?s map of Texas shows several Kickapoo camps across north Central and East Texas. A splinter group was camped on a league of land granted to Jesse Denison on Spring Creek in 1831. Denison never occupied his league and the Kickapoos coexisted peacefully with the settlers until moving on. The village was on the south bank on Spring Creek at Kickapoo Creek. This area on Spring Creek was surveyed and settled in the 1830?s without mention of the Kickapoos by surveyor or settler. One may assume that they moved in the 1820?s. Kickapoo tribes did fight with settlers in West Texas. The Kickapoo School was on the SW corner of Kickapoo Rd. and Waller - Spring Rd. The school was built about 1897 and was consolidated with Waller in 1931. The school building was moved to Waller and used as a home.