Schools of Waller County
Pine Island School
Groves of trees in the vast and flat coastal prairies were called ?islands.? Pine Island was once a large community or a small town located south of Prairie View on Brumlow Road at Pine Island Road. A church and a historical marker remain. The first school reported for Pine Island opened on the west side of FM-350 in 1888. In 1899, the first school at Pine Island was located on the north side of Brumlow Road across from the intersection with Betka Road. In 1900, J. E. Mills deeded one acre on the south side of Brumlow at Pine Island Road to the Pine Island Baptist Church. L. C. Taylor deeded 5 acres adjoining the church to School District # 18 in 1919 and a new two-room school was built next to the church. The old one-room building is shown attached to a larger two-story building in the undated photo. The wooden one-room building was replaced in 1919 by a two-room frame building, which became the last school in the Pine Island District as they consolidated into Waller in 1928.