Waller County Buildings and Areas
Waller County Court House and Jail 1894
Public school was taught in the old jail house located on the north half of block 143 in Hempstead until about 1888. The graduating class of 1888 numbered 6 or 8, with only one graduate in 1889. The largest enrollment in the two-story jail and some smaller buildings on the grounds numbered well over one hundred students and four teachers. The first teachers were Professor T. A. Kelly and Mr. Payne in the main building with Mrs. Pole and Mina Kossom in the small buildings. Finally the students marched in body to the large new two-story, brick school on 12th Street.