Waller County Churches
St. MARTIN de PORRES CATHOLIC CHURCH - Prairie View
The Blessed Martin de Porres Club was formed to serve the Catholic students at Prairie View A & M in 1939. Father H. J. Vincent of St. Marys Catholic Church in Hempstead and 37 students attended the first service. On Easter Sunday, 1962 the new 200 seat chapel was used for the first time. This first permanent chapel was constructed on Thompson Road with right-of-way to FM-1098. Bishop Wendelin J. Nold dedicated the chapel. The first wedding was in 1963.