Waller County Churches
ST. THOMAS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - Addie Gee Rd.
Mr. Larry Mannix conveyed two acres on the corner of Addie Gee and Mannix Roads to the trustees of the Mannix Methodist Episcopal Church of Navasota in 1880 to be 'used, kept, maintained, and disposed of as a place of Divine Worship.' A cemetery was started on the corner with the church on Addie Gee and the small Silent Grove School alongside. The church and school served the families of the tenant farmers for Mannix, Menke, and Rufus Hardy, whose farm was across Clear Creek. A bridge, and later only a foot bridge, spanned the creek on Groce Road. In 1946, trustees Walter Granderson, Albert Alrxander, and Millie McDade received one acre from Marion Woodward Jr. on FM-359. After moving, a storm destroyed the building and the congregation proceeded with building a smaller brick church. Rev. J. E. Hoskins was pastor.