Waller County Churches
WILLIAMS CHAPEL METHODIST CHURCH
The Williams Chapel African Church was organized around 1882, when the trustees: Richard Bohanon, Glasgow Talbert, and Rushton Williams accepted one acre from R. H. and Annie Boxley. The Boxleys had a large farm and probably employed local help or tenant farmers. In 1893, trustees Richard Bohanon, Pilgrim Brimley, and Peter Williams received one-half acre from H. and wife Lucy Anastas of Pattison. This land was northwest of that recorded in the first deed. In 1921, the church received one acre on the San Felipe - Houston Road (now FM-1458) on the west side of Irons Creek. This parcel had been purchased by J. J. Josey from E. H. and J. H. Brownlee. The church was moved to this location - probably from the second site. The congregation began remodeling in 1965 and completed in 1967. In 1972, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Kennedy burned and old church records were lost. Over the years, the name was changed to Williams Chapel Methodist Church.