Schools of Waller County
Mt ZION SCHOOL (Brookshire)
The school opened in the 1890?s and served the Mt. Zion Community near Leslie Station in Brookshire or Pattison. Leslie Station was the railroad depot and there was a Leslie Cotton Gin in 1893. This school was not the Mt. Zion Church or school at Sunnyside. Sunnyside Another Mt. Zion School opened in the 1870?s on Mt. Zion Road at Sunnyside. This was on 5/7 acre just west of Irons Creek in S. William?s Grant, purchased in 1890 from T. W. House et al. as part of a tract known as the Weston Place. (Robert A. Weston) And was replaced by the Bob Burton school. These two schools were on Mt. Zion Road, the older was about 50 yards west of Hall Road on the north side of Mt. Zion. The newer in 1925 was called Bob Burton School since he donated the land on the south side of Mt. Zion. The new school was between the Sunnyside cemetery and Lewis Lane. Rosenwald built the Bob Burton school.