School Students & Faculty
Howth Class 1924
Howth was located where the old Washington road from the Rock Island Ferry crosses the Houston and Texas Central Railroad about 5 miles north of Hempstead. William E. Howth, who died in 1859, received a land grant in another county for participating in the storming of San Antonio. An 1876 H & TC Railroad map shows Howth about halfway between Hempstead and Courtney. The Howth School was opened in the 1880?s and had about 20 students in 1924. Sometimes called Howth Station after 1872 in old deeds and surveys - George Madison Goldsmith was the stationmaster and his wife, Margaret E. was buried in her rose garden. Her grave was attended for years by several old ladies. The 200 families that once lived here are gone and the station site is among newcomers, who do not know of the grave. Surveys include: the Howth - Rock Island Church Road, Howth - Gladish Road, Howth Station - Dewees Road in 1910, and Howth - Hempstead Road, implying Howth was at a crossroads as well as on the railroad. A map, dated Oct. 20, 1869, of the proposed Waller County shows only Howth north of Hempstead on the H&TC Railroad. The nearest towns shown to the north in Grimes County were Courtney and Retreat.