Waller County Churches
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - Hempstead
Prior to 1859, the Presbyterians held services in Grave's Chapel in the north part of Hempstead. In 1859, a meeting attended by H. S. Graves, J. G. Boon, Mrs. Sarah Rankin, M. E. Thompson, R. S. Boone, M. B. Graves, E. W. Samuels, and J. M. Hutton was held to consider the interests of the church. Apparently disrupted by the Civil War, it was 1869 before a parcel of land, Lot 6, Block 196 was purchased from C. Ennis and a new church building was constructed. In 1879, the Graves' School was taught by T. A. Kelly and Ben W. Cunningham. Another building was erected in 1896 and completely remodeled in 1929 by M. M. Graves. Mr. Wilford Penny filled the pulpit in 1939 and the Church Roll numbered forty.