Schools of Waller County
Sam Swartz School 1928
The Sam Swartz Training School in Hempstead opened in the fall of 1928 after the two-story frame school burned. Mrs. Ida Swartz donated the land, on Austin Street, in memory of her father, Sam. This was a Rosenwald funded school and R. M. Pearson was the first principal. This new land was added to the site of the old school - about eight blocks east of the Hempstead railroad depot.