Schools of Waller County
The first school in the Waller Community was private and taught by Miss Nettie Collins. She began with only two students, but other parents employed her to teach their children. In 1887, a school district was organized according to the provisions of the state school law. The first school building was a 30? by 24? frame located at the site of the present J. C. Jenkins home. The first term was for six months and the teacher received a salary of $ 35 per month. Waller was a community of seven houses, one was the section house. The community and the school grew very slowly - so slow that for several years, only one teacher was required. The slow growth continued for three decades, then in the late twenties, education became a high priority. In 1929, the Waller School Board members outlined their plan for a six-teacher school to provide for increased enrollment by the consolidation of the Pine Island District with Waller. The six-teacher school is shown.. Miss Ogg taught school in Waller County.